Seeds of Growth
Christ Church, one of the oldest churches in Georgia, was founded on St. Simons Island nearly 70 years after the island was first settled by English colonists. Worship has been continuous since 1736 in Christ Church Parish, established by English colonists at Frederica under General James Oglethorpe.
Today Christ Church, Frederica has nearly 1,000 members joining in increasing opportunities for involvement in worship, prayer, study, service and fellowship. Docents keep the church open to visitors 364 days a year.
As the church continues to grow in numbers, they are looking ahead to the future development of their campuses, both at Christ Church and St. Ignatius Chapel.
Currently, the Vestry and church are considering the Schematic Vision step of the process, entering a period of discernment for implementation strategies of the approved July 2017 master plan.
The team is committed to creating a functional plan for the future of Christ Church that is a true reflection of the spirit and sacredness of the place.